Very large breasts are problematic for many women, and not just because of the unwanted attention that often comes with them. Often, they cause medical problems because of excessive weight and volume, including back and neck pain, skin irritation and skeletal deformities. Breast reduction surgery can give women smaller, shapelier breasts that are more in proportion with the rest of their body. Here are seven benefits about breast reduction surgery:
- Patients experience a boost in self-confidence. Breast reduction surgery has one of the highest patient satisfaction rates, with many patients saying they should have had the procedure done years ago because of how good they feel. A better-proportioned figure can enhance self-image.
- It relieves pain in the breast, neck, back and shoulders. Reducing weight and volume in the breasts can lead to improvements in sleep as well as the ability to exercise because of improved balance and mobility.
- Clothing will fit better. Patients who have very large breasts often have problems finding clothes that fit properly. They may fit one area of the body but not the other, which makes clothing options more limited.
- It may be covered by insurance. While each insurance policy varies greatly, breast reduction is often covered when performed to relieve medical symptoms. You’ll want to review your policy carefully and discuss the procedure with your insurance company.
- Some of the scars will be “hidden.” You can expect to have some visible scarring, but scar appearance becomes more subtle as you heal. Incisions made around the areolae fade into the border between the darker skin and breast skin.
- It can help avoid stretch marks. Heavy breasts can cause stretch marks to appear over time, so reducing weight and volume can help avoid or delay getting stretch marks.
- The results are long-lasting. The new breast size will help relieve you from pain and physical limitations you experienced before surgery. Breast size should not change unless you gain a significant amount of weight or become pregnant. Over time, however, you may experience normal sagging due to aging, hormonal factors and gravity.
If you’re interested in learning more about breast reduction surgery, call (718) 608-1111 to get a consultation in one of our offices in New Brunswick, NJ, Staten Island, NY, and Brooklyn, NY.